Zoom on the WEN DF1100T
In summary, the WEN DF1100T is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF1100T provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8300W along with a peak wattage of 11000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7500 rated watts and 9500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the DF1100T can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH), or for around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DF1100T is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<15%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This WEN generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The WEN DF1100T has the following dimensions: L27.3 x W20.6 x H21.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 213.8 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The DF1100T's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN DF1100T also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and propane hose.
The WEN DF1100T is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN DF1100T versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF1100T compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 213.8 lbs, the WEN DF1100T belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 72 dBA, this generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Predator 9500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 67 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the DF1100T, with an autonomy of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 100416, boasting with around 12.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WPro8500, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the WEN DF1100T is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8300 W||7500 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||69.2/34.6 amps||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 20.6 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||DF1100|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF1100T is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6617 W||8092 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6630 W||7050 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Can i buy anything to reduce the noise level? (Asked September 04, 2020)
We do not recommend any sort of modification. However, you may consider an enclosure (such as a ZombieBox (opens in a new tab)).
What gauge wire do I need to connect to house panel 10 feet away? (Asked February 16, 2021)
Page 23 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) contains a wire gauge chart.
Does it charge its own battery or do I need to attach a battery maintainer? (Asked March 18, 2021)
The unit charges the battery while running.
Do you need the battery in generator in order to use the recoil starter cord. (Asked March 31, 2021)
When using gasoline to run the generator, the battery must be connected whether using electric or recoil start. When using LPG, battery does not need to be connected for recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.