Zoom on the WEN DF1100T
In summary, the WEN DF1100T is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF1100T provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8300W along with a peak wattage of 11000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7500 rated watts and 9500 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
Regarding its running time, the DF1100T, with a 6.6 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH).
As the DF1100T has a relatively high THD (<15%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
While this WEN generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The design of the WEN DF1100T is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.3 x W20.6 x H21.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 213.8 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DF1100T's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the WEN DF1100T, the following accessories are also included: propane hose and oil.
The WEN DF1100T is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN DF1100T versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF1100T compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- With a dry weight of 213.8 pounds, the WEN DF1100T finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000 with only 183 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 72 dBA, this generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Predator 9500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 67 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DF1100T falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 100416, reaching around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the WEN DF1100T is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8300 W||7500 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||69.2/34.6 amps||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 20.6 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||DF1100|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF1100T is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6617 W||8092 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6630 W||7050 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Can i buy anything to reduce the noise level? (Asked September 04, 2020)
We do not recommend any sort of modification. However, you may consider an enclosure (such as a ZombieBox (opens in a new tab)).
What gauge wire do I need to connect to house panel 10 feet away? (Asked February 16, 2021)
Page 23 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab) contains a wire gauge chart.
Does it charge its own battery or do I need to attach a battery maintainer? (Asked March 18, 2021)
The unit charges the battery while running.
Do you need the battery in generator in order to use the recoil starter cord. (Asked March 31, 2021)
When using gasoline to run the generator, the battery must be connected whether using electric or recoil start. When using LPG, battery does not need to be connected for recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.