Zoom on the WEN DF1100T
In a nutshell, the WEN DF1100T is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile WEN DF1100T provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8300W along with a peak wattage of 11000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7500 rated watts and 9500 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
The running time of the DF1100T, with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 3 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Even though this WEN generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the WEN DF1100T, which are L27.3 x W20.6 x H21.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 213.8 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the DF1100T's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN DF1100T also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and propane hose.
The WEN DF1100T is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN DF1100T versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN DF1100T compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- At a weight of 213.8 pounds, the WEN DF1100T places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, standing at just 185 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 72 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powermate DF7500E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 68 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the DF1100T, with an autonomy of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H08053, with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the WEN DF1100T is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (72 dBA)
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8300 W||7500 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W||9500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||69.2/34.6 amps||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.3 x 20.6 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||DF1100|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN DF1100T is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6617 W||8092 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6630 W||7050 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Can i buy anything to reduce the noise level? (Asked September 04, 2020)
We do not recommend any sort of modification. However, you may consider an enclosure (such as a ZombieBox (opens in a new tab)).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.