Zoom on the WEN 56877
In summary, the WEN 56877 is a portable generator especially useful for food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56877's core is the 420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included) and also a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 82 dBA (just slightly more noisy than garbage disposal).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons, the 56877 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This WEN generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as the 56877 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The WEN 56877 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.4 x W21.8 x H21.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 210 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 56877 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56877's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56877 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56877 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56877 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 210 lbs, the WEN 56877 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF7250 with only 140 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 82 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI with only 59 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56877 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, as it provides around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.72 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the WEN 56877 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Decent weight (210 lbs)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (82 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.4 x 21.8 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||82 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56877 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.