Zoom on the WEN 56877
In a nutshell, the WEN 56877 is a portable generator mostly geared towards food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56877's engine, 420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7000W and reaches a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 82 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons, the 56877 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this WEN generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, because the 56877 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L27.4 x W21.8 x H21.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN 56877 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 210 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the 56877's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56877 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The WEN 56877 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56877 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56877 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With a dry weight of 210 pounds, the WEN 56877 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 82 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56877 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, as it provides around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.72 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the WEN 56877 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Decent weight (210 lbs)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (82 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.4 x 21.8 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||82 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56877 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.