Zoom on the WEN 56877
In a nutshell, the WEN 56877 is a portable generator mostly geared towards food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56877's engine, 420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7000W and reaches a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 82 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock). Its starting mechanisms include a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included) and a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons, the 56877 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
While this WEN generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the 56877 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27.4 x W21.8 x H21.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN 56877 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 210 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
An illuminated data center, one of the features of the 56877’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56877 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The WEN 56877 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56877 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56877 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With its weight of 210 lbs, the WEN 56877 is one of the heavier generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF7250 with only 140 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 82 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI with only 59 dBA.
- The autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG7500B, reaching 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.72 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the WEN 56877 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (210 lbs)
- On the noisy side (82 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the WEN 56877?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.4 x 21.8 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||82 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56877 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.