Zoom on the WEN 56551
In summary, the WEN 56551 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56551's engine, 389 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5000W and reaches a peak wattage of 5500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 56551 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.59 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 56551 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the WEN 56551 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.6 x W21.1 x H22.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 187 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the 56551's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56551's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56551 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56551 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56551 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a weight of 187 pounds, the WEN 56551 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56500, standing at just 119 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 67 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 56551 offers 11 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.59 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5500, with a fuel consumption of 0.44 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the WEN 56551 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (187 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Where to buy the WEN 56551?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.6 x 21.1 x 22.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56551 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.