Zoom on the WEN 56500
In a nutshell, the WEN 56500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56500's core is the 272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 4500W and a peak wattage of 5000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons allows the 56500 to operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 56500 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The WEN 56500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W16.9 x H17.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 119 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 56500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the WEN 56500's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The WEN 56500 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56500 compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the WEN 56500 stands at only 119 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4000-5000 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Pulsar PG5250, with a dry weight of just 99.5 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Yamaha EF4500iSE, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 58 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56500 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.33 GPH, the Pulsar PG5250B is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the WEN 56500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (119 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 17.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3462 W||4962 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.