Zoom on the WEN 56500
In summary, the WEN 56500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56500 is powered by a 272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 4500W as well as a peak wattage of 5000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 56500 can operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, since the 56500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L23.2 x W16.9 x H17.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN 56500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 119 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the 56500 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56500 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The WEN 56500 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN 56500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56500 compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the WEN 56500 weighs just 119 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4000 to 5000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PG5250, weighing just 99.5 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Yamaha EF4500iSE with only 58 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 56500, reaching around 7.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.33 GPH, the Pulsar PG5250B is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the WEN 56500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (119 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 17.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.