Zoom on the WEN 56500
In a nutshell, the WEN 56500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56500's build contains a gasoline-fueled 272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4500W and also a peak wattage of 5000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 56500 can operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 56500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L23.2 x W16.9 x H17.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the WEN 56500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 119 pounds. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 56500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56500 is packaged with the standard documentation and a user manual, helping you start the device right away.
The WEN 56500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56500 compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN 56500 weighs only 119 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Pulsar PG5250, with a dry weight of just 99.5 pounds.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Yamaha EF4500iSE. With just 58 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 56500, reaching 7.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, which is able to run for 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG5250B, with a fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the WEN 56500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (119 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the WEN 56500?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||272 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 16.9 x 17.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.