Zoom on the WEN 56160
In a nutshell, the WEN 56160 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56160 is powered by a 98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1400W as well as a peak wattage of 1600W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 56160 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The WEN 56160 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.2 x H15.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 56 lbs, the 56160 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56160's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56160 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56160 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56160 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As its dry weight is 56 pounds, the WEN 56160 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 500 to 1500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 56160 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 9 hours at 50% load. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.18 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the WEN 56160 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (56 lbs)
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1600 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||13.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.2 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56160 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.