Zoom on the WEN 56160
In a nutshell, the WEN 56160 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56160 is powered by a 98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1400W as well as a peak wattage of 1600W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 56160 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The WEN 56160 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.2 x H15.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 56 lbs, the 56160 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56160's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56160 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56160 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56160 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 56 pounds, the WEN 56160 is one of the heavier generators producing between 500 and 1500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- With a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load, the 56160 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.18 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (56 lbs)
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1600 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||13.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.2 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56160 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||592 W||1592 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.