Zoom on the WEN 56155
In a nutshell, the WEN 56155 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56155's engine, 98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1350W and reaches a peak wattage of 1550W.
At a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 56155 can operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The WEN 56155 has the following dimensions: L20.6 x W15.4 x H16.6 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 56155 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 55.8 lbs. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the WEN 56155's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The WEN 56155 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56155 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56155 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 55.8 lbs makes the WEN 56155 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 63 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- As the 56155 offers around 7.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the WEN 56155 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (55.8 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1350 W|
|Starting watts||1550 W|
|Running amps||11.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.6 x 15.4 x 16.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56155 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||517 W||1517 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1060 W||1480 W|
|For work||Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||1000 W||1000 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.