Zoom on the WEN 56155
In summary, the WEN 56155 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56155's design includes a gasoline-fueled 98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1350W and also a peak wattage of 1550W.
At a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the 56155 to operate for around 7.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the WEN 56155, which are L20.6 x W15.4 x H16.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 56155 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 55.8 lbs. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the WEN 56155 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The WEN 56155 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56155 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56155 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 55.8 lbs makes the WEN 56155 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 63 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- As the 56155 offers around 7.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the WEN 56155 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (55.8 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1350 W|
|Starting watts||1550 W|
|Running amps||11.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.6 x 15.4 x 16.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56155 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||517 W||1517 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1060 W||1480 W|
|For work||Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||1000 W||1000 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.