Zoom on the WEN 56105
In a nutshell, the WEN 56105 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56105 is powered by a 63 cc WEN 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 900W as well as a peak wattage of 1000W.
At a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 56105 can operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
The WEN 56105 is a compact generator that benefits from an encased design of the following dimensions: L15 x W12 x H14.5 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the 56105 weighs only 39 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 8th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56105's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56105 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56105 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56105 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 39 lbs, the WEN 56105 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 95 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 56105, reaching around 5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, with around 11 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.2 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
The WEN 56105 doesn't have any specs that exceed those of other generators of its class.
- Decent weight (39 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||63 cc WEN 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15 x 12 x 14.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56105 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.