Zoom on the WEN 56105
In a nutshell, the WEN 56105 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56105 houses a 63 cc WEN 2-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 900W along with a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 56105 can operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The WEN 56105's characteristic compact and encased design (L15 x W12 x H14.5 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 39 lbs, the 56105 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle, further improving its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 8th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the WEN 56105 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The WEN 56105 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56105 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56105 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 39 lbs, the WEN 56105 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 95 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56105 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.2 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the WEN 56105 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (39 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||63 cc WEN 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15 x 12 x 14.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56105 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.