Electrict start + CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN 56480iX
In a nutshell, the WEN 56480iX is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56480iX is powered by a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 4,000W as well as a peak wattage of 4,800W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
With a fuel capacity of 1.9 gallon, the 56480iX may run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 56480iX generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
The WEN 56480iX's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L23.8 x W12.6 x H22.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 77 lbs, the 56480iX can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
One of the many 56480iX's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the frequency, fuel level, lifetime run hours, power output and voltage and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56480iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56480iX's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56480iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The WEN 56480iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56480iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the WEN 56480iX only weighs in at 77 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM4600iAEFIC, weighing just 58.4 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 62 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56480iX falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the WEN 56480iX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Watchdog
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|224 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.8 x 12.6 x 22.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and low fuel protection, CO monitoring
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56480iX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
What is the oil reservoir capacity of this unit so I don’t over fill? (Asked February 01, 2024)
Engine oil capacity is 20.3 fl. oz.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.