Electrict start + CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN 56477i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56477i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56477i's engine, 224 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 4,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,800W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.9 gallon, the 56477i may run for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The 56477i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the WEN 56477i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L23.8 x W12.6 x H22.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 72.7 lbs of the 56477i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle.
Monitoring of the 56477i's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the fuel level, voltage, power output, lifetime run hours and frequency and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56477i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and a low fuel automatic shutdown, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the WEN 56477i also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The WEN 56477i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56477i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56477i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the WEN 56477i stands at only 72.7 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 62 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56477i falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the WEN 56477i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (72.7 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,800 W|
|Running amps||33.3 amps|
|Peak amps||40 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.8 x 12.6 x 22.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56477i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3187 W||4187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3185 W||3605 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2050 W||4750 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.