Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + CO sensor
Gas + Electric start
Dual fuel + Manual start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Remote start + CO sensor
Zoom on the WEN 56450i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56450i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56450i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons allows the 56450i to operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
As the 56450i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
Since the WEN 56450i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 56450i's dry weight of 99.2 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 56450i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level, power output, frequency and voltage.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56450i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN 56450i's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN 56450i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56450i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56450i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 99.2 lbs, the WEN 56450i belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As the 56450i offers around 8.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, boasting with around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the WEN 56450i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56450i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.