Zoom on the WEN 56400iX
In summary, the WEN 56400iX is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56400iX is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,200W as well as a peak wattage of 4,000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (GNA50i parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons, the 56400iX can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
The 56400iX produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This WEN generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the WEN 56400iX is an inverter generator, its encased design (L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 99.2 lbs, the 56400iX can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
One of the many 56400iX's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, fuel level, frequency, power output and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56400iX to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from WEN's CO Watchdog carbon monoxide detection. This system measures the accumulation of poisonous CO gas while the generator is running. If the level of CO gas gets too high, the CO Watchdog system will automatically shut down the generator.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN 56400iX also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN 56400iX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN 56400iX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56400iX compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 99.2 pounds, the WEN 56400iX places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As the 56400iX offers around 8.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Ryobi RYi4022X, with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the WEN 56400iX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Watchdog
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Funnel, tool kit, and battery
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56400iX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.