Zoom on the WEN 56380i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56380i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56380i's core is the 212 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3400W and a peak wattage of 3800W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons allows the 56380i to operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 56380i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this WEN generator is RV Ready.
Since the WEN 56380i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.2 x W18 x H20.1 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 56380i's dry weight of 99.2 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
To help you monitor the 56380i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours, power output and voltage.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN 56380i also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The WEN 56380i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56380i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56380i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 99.2 pounds, the WEN 56380i falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM3300i, with a dry weight of only 47.4 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 57 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Given that the 56380i reaches an autonomy of around 8.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Genmax GM3300i is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the WEN 56380i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||3800 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peak amps||31.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56380i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2292 W||3792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Does this have an oil change reminder (Asked October 04, 2020)
The digital multimeter has a maintenance reminder that triggers every 50 hours. Oil level should be checked on a daily basis, and every 8 hours. Oil should be replaced every 25 hours, or as necessary.
Can the 3800 watt and 2350 watt be used in the rain. ?? Just bought both. Thanks (Asked March 24, 2021)
No generator can be used in the rain. We recommend reading our article on operation in bad weather.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.