Zoom on the WEN 56235i
In summary, the WEN 56235i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56235i's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1900W and a peak wattage of 2350W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 51 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 56235i can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The 56235i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The WEN 56235i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 56235i weighs just 39 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56235i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the WEN 56235i's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The WEN 56235i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56235i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56235i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the WEN 56235i only weighs in at 39 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 51 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Given that the 56235i reaches an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56235i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1900 W|
|Starting watts||2350 W|
|Running amps||15.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56235i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1342 W||2342 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1500 W||1920 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1510 W||1510 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.