Zoom on the WEN 56235i
In summary, the WEN 56235i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56235i's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1900W and a peak wattage of 2350W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 51 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 56235i can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the 56235i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in), the WEN 56235i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 56235i weighs just 39 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56235i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the WEN 56235i also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit.
The WEN 56235i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56235i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56235i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the WEN 56235i only weighs in at 39 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 51 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The 56235i, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56235i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1900 W|
|Starting watts||2350 W|
|Running amps||15.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56235i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||1500 W||1500 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1515 W||2105 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1510 W||1510 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.