Zoom on the WEN 56235i
In summary, the WEN 56235i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56235i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1900W and also a peak wattage of 2350W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (WEN Parallel Connection Kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 51 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 56235i may run for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 56235i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the WEN 56235i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 56235i weighs just 39 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56235i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker), an automatic low oil shut-off and a low fuel automatic shutdown, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the WEN 56235i also comes with some accessories: funnel and tool kit are included.
The WEN 56235i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56235i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56235i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN 56235i weighs only 39 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 51 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Given that the 56235i reaches an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56235i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (51 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1900 W|
|Starting watts||2350 W|
|Running amps||15.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||51 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56235i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1342 W||2342 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1500 W||1920 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1510 W||1510 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.