-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 97
Zoom on the WEN 56225i
In summary, the WEN 56225i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56225i houses a 79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,800W along with a peak wattage of 2,250W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the 56225i may run for up to 9.4 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
The 56225i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the WEN 56225i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 48.5 lbs, the 56225i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56225i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56225i also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The WEN 56225i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56225i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56225i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 48.5 lbs, the WEN 56225i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- As the 56225i offers up to 9.4 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, which is able to run for up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP2300iH, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the WEN 56225i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,250 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||9.4 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56225i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1242 W||2242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Does the 2250w mod 56225i require a ground rod? (Asked July 13, 2020)
To maximize safety, generators should always be grounded.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.