Zoom on the WEN 56225i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56225i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56225i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2250W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall).
With a full tank, the 56225i can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The 56225i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the WEN 56225i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 56225i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 48.5 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56225i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off, a low fuel automatic shutdown and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the WEN 56225i also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The WEN 56225i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56225i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56225i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN 56225i weighs only 48.5 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 53 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 56225i, reaching around 6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56225i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (48.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2250 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56225i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1242 W||2242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Does the 2250w mod 56225i require a ground rod? (Asked July 13, 2020)
To maximize safety, generators should always be grounded.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.