Zoom on the WEN 56225i
In summary, the WEN 56225i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56225i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,800W and also a peak wattage of 2,250W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 56225i can operate for up to 9.4 hours (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 56225i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L18 x W11.5 x H18.2 in), the WEN 56225i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the 56225i weighs only 48.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
When the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56225i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker), a low fuel automatic shutdown and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56225i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56225i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The WEN 56225i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56225i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 48.5 pounds, the WEN 56225i places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 53 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As the 56225i offers up to 9.4 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the WEN 56225i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (48.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|2x 5V USB port
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|18 x 11.5 x 18.2 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and low fuel protection
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56225i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
Does the 2250w mod 56225i require a ground rod? (Asked July 13, 2020)
To maximize safety, generators should always be grounded.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.