Zoom on the WEN 56225i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56225i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56225i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2250W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 56225i can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
As the 56225i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the WEN 56225i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the 56225i weighs only 48.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56225i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security standpoint, the product offers a low fuel automatic shutdown, an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the WEN 56225i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The WEN 56225i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The WEN 56225i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56225i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the WEN 56225i weighs only 48.5 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 6 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 56225i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.12 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56225i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (48.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2250 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56225i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1242 W||2242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Does the 2250w mod 56225i require a ground rod? (Asked July 13, 2020)
To maximize safety, generators should always be grounded.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.