Zoom on the WEN 56225i
In a nutshell, the WEN 56225i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The WEN 56225i is powered by a 79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1800W as well as a peak wattage of 2250W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (WEN 56421 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the 56225i to operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The 56225i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <1.2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As the WEN 56225i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18 x W11.5 x H18.2 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 48.5 lbs, the 56225i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The fuel shutoff feature turns off the flow of fuel, allowing for the 56225i to use up the remaining fuel from the carburetor before automatically shutting down. This helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant fuel inside of the carburetor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), an automatic low oil shut-off and a low fuel automatic shutdown, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the WEN 56225i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The WEN 56225i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The WEN 56225i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the WEN 56225i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the WEN 56225i stands at only 48.5 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 56225i, reaching around 6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.12 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the WEN 56225i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (48.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79.7 cc WEN OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2250 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 11.5 x 18.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and low fuel protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
WEN Products, founded by Nick Anton in 1951, is an American power tool manufacturer and distributor, which claims to have a part in the development of modern chainsaw, soldering devices and wet sharpeners, through its research in random orbital technology. The Illinois based company expanded its distribution network to include various power tools, such as presses, drills and of course, power generators. As a distributor, WEN’s portfolio largely consists of branded products of different manufacturers, imported from Asia.
The WEN 56225i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of WEN generators, please consult WEN's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-847-429-9263.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1242 W||2242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Does the 2250w mod 56225i require a ground rod? (Asked July 13, 2020)
To maximize safety, generators should always be grounded.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.