Zoom on the Sportsman GENMAX1500
In summary, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GENMAX1500's engine, 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 900W and reaches a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GENMAX1500 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The design of the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L16 x W14 x H16 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the GENMAX1500 weighs just 45 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GENMAX1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- At a weight of 45 pounds, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Given that the GENMAX1500 reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (45 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||680 W||1130 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.