Zoom on the Sportsman GENMAX1500
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 houses a 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 900W along with a peak wattage of 1,500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the GENMAX1500 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The design of the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L16 x W14 x H16 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the GENMAX1500 weighs only 45 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GENMAX1500, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GENMAX1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 45 pounds, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is one of the heavier generators producing between 500 and 1500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 65 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The GENMAX1500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, which is able to run for around 11 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.09 GPH, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (45 lbs)
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1,500 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||680 W||1130 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.