Zoom on the Sportsman GENMAX1500
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GENMAX1500's core is the 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 900W and a peak wattage of 1500W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The GENMAX1500 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L16 x W14 x H16 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Weighing just 45 lbs, the GENMAX1500 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 also comes with some accessories: funnel and tool kit are included.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GENMAX1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 45 lbs, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- The GENMAX1500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GENMAX1500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (45 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GENMAX1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||680 W||1130 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.