Zoom on the Sportsman GEN9000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN9000DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN9000DF provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8,000W along with a peak wattage of 9,000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7,200 rated watts and 8,100 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
Regarding its running time, the GEN9000DF, with a 8 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.8 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the GEN9000DF is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN9000DF, which are L29.5 x W23 x H20.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 200 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The GEN9000DF's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Sportsman GEN9000DF also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN9000DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Sportsman GEN9000DF stands at only 200 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter dual fuel devices of the 7500-8500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Cummins Onan P9500df with only 194 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 80 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Genmax GM9000iED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 62 dBA.
- The GEN9000DF, falls within the average autonomy range compared to dual fuel generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H07552, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.8 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN9000DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (200 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W||7,200 W|
|Starting watts||9,000 W||8,100 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||67.5/33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6372 W||7872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.