Zoom on the Sportsman GEN9000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN9000DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN9000DF provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 9000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7200 rated watts and 8100 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 80 dBA (just as noisy as garbage disposal).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the GEN9000DF can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.8 GPH), or for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the GEN9000DF bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN9000DF, which are L29.5 x W23 x H20.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 200 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The GEN9000DF's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN9000DF's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN9000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Sportsman GEN9000DF stands at only 200 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 7500-8500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, with a dry weight of just 183 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 80 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Predator 9500. With just 67 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the GEN9000DF is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman H08053, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.8 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Sportsman GEN9000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (200 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W||8100 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||67.5/33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN9000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.