Zoom on the Sportsman GEN85KIDF
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W. When propane-powered, it has 6300 rated watts and 7900 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a shower), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
As for its running time, the GEN85KIDF, along with its 7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.7 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Sportsman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, which are L29.5 x W23.5 x H24 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 133 lbs.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF stands at only 133 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lightest devices of the 6500-7500 rated wattage category
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 70 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- The GEN85KIDF, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, with around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.7 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (133 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6300 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W||7900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps||65.8/32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
No surge protector on RV outlet. Is there any potential problems that could manifest? (Asked April 18, 2020)
Your trailer most likely has its own 50-amp breaker.
how do i drain the gas tank on The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? where can i buy plug in adaptors for The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? (Asked April 02, 2022)
To drain the gas tank, you can refer to the set instructions located page 22 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab). AC adaptors are not brand-specific and can be purchased from any specialized online retailer.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.