Zoom on the Sportsman GEN85KIDF
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W. When propane-powered, it has 6300 rated watts and 7900 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The GEN85KIDF, with a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.7 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH) with propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Sportsman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.5 x W23.5 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 133 pounds.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF weighs just 133 pounds and thus, it is one of the lightest 6500 to 7500 rated wattage generators.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 70 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- Given that the GEN85KIDF reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500E, as it provides around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.7 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (133 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6300 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W||7900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps||65.8/32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
No surge protector on RV outlet. Is there any potential problems that could manifest? (Asked April 18, 2020)
Your trailer most likely has its own 50-amp breaker.
how do i drain the gas tank on The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? where can i buy plug in adaptors for The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? (Asked April 02, 2022)
To drain the gas tank, you can refer to the set instructions located page 22 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab). AC adaptors are not brand-specific and can be purchased from any specialized online retailer.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.