Zoom on the Sportsman GEN85KIDF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN85KIDF provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 7,000W along with a peak wattage of 8,750W. While propane-powered, it provides 6,300 rated watts and 7,900 starting watts.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a shower).
The running time of the GEN85KIDF, with its 7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.7 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Sportsman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet.
With its dimensions of L29.5 x W23.5 x H24 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 133 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF has only 133 lbs, which renders it one of the lightest generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 70 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As the GEN85KIDF offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 9000, with around 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.7 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV7500, with a fuel consumption of 0.45 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (133 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,000 W||6,300 W|
|Starting watts||8,750 W||7,900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps||65.8/32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
No surge protector on RV outlet. Is there any potential problems that could manifest? (Asked April 18, 2020)
Your trailer most likely has its own 50-amp breaker.
how do i drain the gas tank on The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? where can i buy plug in adaptors for The Sportsman GEN85KIDF? (Asked April 02, 2022)
To drain the gas tank, you can refer to the set instructions located page 22 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab). AC adaptors are not brand-specific and can be purchased from any specialized online retailer.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.