Zoom on the Sportsman GEN85KIDF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W. When propane-powered, it has 6300 rated watts and 7900 peak watts.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The running time of the GEN85KIDF, with its 7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.7 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Sportsman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, which are L29.5 x W23.5 x H24 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 133 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN85KIDF compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As for its weight, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF weighs only 133 pounds, making it one of the lightest generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 70 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As the GEN85KIDF offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Generac XC6500, boasting with around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.7 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Sportsman GEN85KIDF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (133 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6300 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W||7900 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||52.5/26.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps||65.8/32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.5 x 23.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN85KIDF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
No surge protector on RV outlet. Is there any potential problems that could manifest? (Asked April 18, 2020)
Your trailer most likely has its own 50-amp breaker.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.