Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN7500DF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7500W. When propane-powered, it has 5400 rated watts and 6700 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as garbage disposal), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The GEN7500DF, with a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GEN7500DF is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 194 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the GEN7500DF's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN7500DF also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As its weight is 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 80 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN7500DF, with an autonomy of around 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6000 W||5400 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W||6700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.