Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN7500DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6,000W and a starting wattage of 7,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 5,400 rated watts and 6,700 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 80 dBA (just as noisy as garbage disposal). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
Regarding its running time, the GEN7500DF, with a 6.2 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GEN7500DF is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Sportsman GEN7500DF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The GEN7500DF and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Sportsman GEN7500DF also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 5500 and 6500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO with only 118 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 80 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 62 dBA.
- The GEN7500DF's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman H05751, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.69 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.42 GPH, the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6,000 W||5,400 W|
|Starting watts||7,500 W||6,700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Where do I buy replacement parts for my GEN7500DF sportstman generator? I need the stator assembly.. its part number QJ7500.03.01 .. Thank you. (Asked May 07, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Buffalo Tools: 1-636-532-9888.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.