Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN7500DF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7500W. When propane-powered, it has 5400 rated watts and 6700 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The GEN7500DF, with a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the GEN7500DF is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The GEN7500DF's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Sportsman GEN7500DF also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables are included.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- A weight of 194 lbs makes the Sportsman GEN7500DF one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar G65BN, with a dry weight of only 126 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 80 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the DuroMax XP7500DX. With just 70 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN7500DF falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H05753, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar G65BN, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.45 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6,000 W||5,400 W|
|Starting watts||7,500 W||6,700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Where do I buy replacement parts for my GEN7500DF sportstman generator? I need the stator assembly.. its part number QJ7500.03.01 .. Thank you. (Asked May 07, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Buffalo Tools: 1-636-532-9888.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.