Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN7500DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6000W and a starting wattage of 7500W. If propane-powered, it gives 5400 rated watts and 6700 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The running time of the GEN7500DF, with its 6.2 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready. In addition, as the GEN7500DF holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN7500DF, which are L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 194 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The GEN7500DF and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Sportsman GEN7500DF also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables are included.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 194 lbs, the Sportsman GEN7500DF belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of only 140 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 80 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN7500DF, reaching around 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.69 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6000 W||5400 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W||6700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4797 W||6272 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4780 W||5200 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.