Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN7500DF provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 6000W along with a peak wattage of 7500W. While propane-powered, it provides 5400 rated watts and 6700 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as garbage disposal), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, the GEN7500DF can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH), or for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) using propane.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as the GEN7500DF holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 194 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The GEN7500DF and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Sportsman GEN7500DF also comes with some accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose are included.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As its weight is 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 80 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The GEN7500DF’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.69 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6000 W||5400 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W||6700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||6292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.