Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN7500DF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 6000W and a peak wattage of 7500W. When propane-powered, it has 5400 rated watts and 6700 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The GEN7500DF, with a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GEN7500DF is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30.8 x W26.5 x H27 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 194 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the GEN7500DF includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN7500DF, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As its weight is 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar G65BN with only 126 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 80 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN7500DF, reaching around 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (194 lbs)
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6000 W||5400 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W||6700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.8 x 26.5 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||6292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Where do I buy replacement parts for my GEN7500DF sportstman generator? I need the stator assembly.. its part number QJ7500.03.01 .. Thank you. (Asked May 07, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Buffalo Tools: 1-636-532-9888.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.