Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6,000W and a starting wattage of 7,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 5,400 rated watts and 6,700 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The running time of the GEN7500DF-SS, with its 6.2 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, because the GEN7500DF-SS is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS, which are L26.5 x W19.5 x H18 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 194 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The GEN7500DF-SS and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 5500 and 6500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a dry weight of just 118 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 80 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 62 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN7500DF-SS falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman H05753, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.69 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.42 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 5500-6500W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|420 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|26.5 x 19.5 x 18 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Microwave (1000 watts)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.