-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 5
Zoom on the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 6,000W along with a peak wattage of 7,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 5,400 rated watts and 6,700 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 80 dBA (just as noisy as an alarm clock), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
As for its running time, the GEN7500DF-SS, along with its 6.2 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, because the GEN7500DF-SS is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.5 x W19.5 x H18 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 194 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the GEN7500DF-SS's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS also comes with several accessories, including: battery charging cables, funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a dry weight of 194 pounds, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is one of the heavier dual fuel devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar G65BN with only 126 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 80 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Genmax GM7250iEDC, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 63 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN7500DF-SS falls into the low end in comparison with other dual fuel devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H05752, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.69 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Genmax GM7250iEDC, with a fuel consumption of 0.45 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (194 lbs)
- On the noisy side (80 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||6,000 W||5,400 W|
|Starting watts||7,500 W||6,700 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45/22.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.5 x 19.5 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||80 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN7500DF-SS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||6292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.