Zoom on the Sportsman GEN4000DF
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN4000DF provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4000W. While propane-powered, it provides 3100 rated watts and 3600 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
The running time of the GEN4000DF, with its 3.6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Sportsman GEN4000DF is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.5 x W17 x H16.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the GEN4000DF's weight is only 90 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The control panel of the GEN4000DF includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN4000DF's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN4000DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the Sportsman GEN4000DF weighs only 90 pounds, making it one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3500iAED, standing at just 56.2 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN4000DF, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other dual fuel products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (90 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W||3100 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W||3600 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||25.8 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||3.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model of generator need a battery as it looks like it doesn't come with one. (Asked November 12, 2020)
No battery is needed, since the unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.