Zoom on the Sportsman GEN4000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN4000DF allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a starting wattage of 4,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,100 rated watts and 3,600 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the GEN4000DF, along with its 3.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Sportsman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN4000DF, which are L24.5 x W17 x H16.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 90 lbs, the GEN4000DF can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The control panel of the GEN4000DF includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN4000DF also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN4000DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Sportsman GEN4000DF weighs just 90 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage dual fuel generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, with a dry weight of just 54.8 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN4000DF, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (90 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,100 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W||3,600 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||25.8 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||3.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model of generator need a battery as it looks like it doesn't come with one. (Asked November 12, 2020)
No battery is needed, since the unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.