ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 20
Zoom on the Sportsman GEN4000DF
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN4000DF allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a starting wattage of 4,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,100 rated watts and 3,600 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The GEN4000DF, with a fuel capacity of 3.6 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH) with propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF has the following dimensions: L24.5 x W17 x H16.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 90 lbs of the GEN4000DF's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The GEN4000DF and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN4000DF, the following accessories are also included: funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN4000DF compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the Sportsman GEN4000DF weighs only 90 pounds, making it one of the lighter dual fuel generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3500iAED, standing at just 56.2 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN4000DF, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other dual fuel products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN4000DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (90 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,100 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W||3,600 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||25.8 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||3.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model of generator need a battery as it looks like it doesn't come with one. (Asked November 12, 2020)
No battery is needed, since the unit is recoil start only.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I made the purchase of this generator from Home Depot for a very reasonable price. I used it the first time at my home when the electric failed for two days it powered my electric furnace, my refrigerator, lights and the micro-wave everything preformed with-out a problem I’m very impressed with the unit, I also use it to power my travel trailer with camping at non-electric sites and it works wells to keep the A/C on the trailer running to stay comfortable this 3500 watt generator will power about anything your attached to it. One needs to be cautious when running multiple items to run at the same time example when running a A/C run it it at a low speed so to keep the wattage draw at a min. Its all about common sense