Zoom on the Sportsman GEN4000
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN4000's engine, 212 cc (7 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,000W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.6 gallons allows the GEN4000 to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L23 x W19.5 x H17.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Sportsman GEN4000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 91 lbs of the GEN4000's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The control panel of the GEN4000 includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN4000 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 91 pounds, the Sportsman GEN4000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Given that the GEN4000 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Sportsman GEN4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (91 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23 x 19.5 x 17.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Tool kit and battery charging cables
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
What is the difference between a generator with an inverter and without we’re going camping I just ordered the Sportsman 3500/4000 gas only? (Asked October 30, 2020)
The biggest difference is that an inverter generator allows for a safe powering of equipment that contains sensitive electronics. Inverter generators are also less noisy, and more fuel efficient. You can read more about it in this article.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.