Zoom on the Sportsman GEN4000-SS
In summary, the Sportsman GEN4000-SS is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN4000-SS's core is the 212 cc (7 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
The GEN4000-SS can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Sportsman generator is RV Ready.
The Sportsman GEN4000-SS has the following dimensions: L23 x W19.5 x H17.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GEN4000-SS's dry weight of 91 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN4000-SS's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The Sportsman GEN4000-SS is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN4000-SS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN4000-SS compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Sportsman GEN4000-SS weighs just 91 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3500iO with only 74.3 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN4000-SS falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, which is able to run for 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Sportsman GEN4000-SS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (91 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Sportsman GEN4000-SS?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 19.5 x 17.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN4000-SS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.