-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 34
Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2200DFi
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN2200DFi allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,800W and a starting wattage of 2,200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,600 rated watts and 1,900 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Sportsman PC30A cable not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the GEN2200DFi, with its 1 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the GEN2200DFi produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19.2 x W12 x H18.1 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a weight of only 45 lbs, the GEN2200DFi may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
When the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2200DFi compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi stands at only 45 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The GEN2200DFi, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 7 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen2200c, as it provides around 10 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200c. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,800 W||1,600 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W||1,900 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||15.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||18 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.2 x 12 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.