Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2200DFi
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W. When propane-powered, it has 1600 rated watts and 1900 peak watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Sportsman PC30A cable not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the GEN2200DFi, with a 1 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GEN2200DFi generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.2 x W12 x H18.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the GEN2200DFi weighs only 45 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, funnel, tool kit and propane hose are included.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2200DFi compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi weighs just 45 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage inverter generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Given that the GEN2200DFi reaches an autonomy of around 7 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Lifan ESI 2500iER-EFI, with around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.11 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Sportsman GEN2200DFi is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||1900 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||15.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||18 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.2 x 12 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2200DFi is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.