Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Sportsman GEN2000DF delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1400W and a peak wattage of 2000W. When propane-powered, it has 1200 rated watts and 1800 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the GEN2000DF, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF has the following dimensions: L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GEN2000DF can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 53 lbs. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN2000DF, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- At a weight of 53 pounds, the Sportsman GEN2000DF places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, standing at just 30 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- The GEN2000DF, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 9 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Cat INV1250. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W||1200 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||1800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Does this generator have a L5-30R outlet? (Asked February 6, 2020)
No, it only has a Duplex 5-20R.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.