Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN2000DF provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1400W along with a peak wattage of 2000W. While propane-powered, it provides 1200 rated watts and 1800 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the GEN2000DF, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The GEN2000DF can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 53 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Sportsman GEN2000DF also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, battery charging cables and propane hose.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 53 pounds, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is one of the heavier generators producing between 500 and 1500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- With a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load, the GEN2000DF has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (53 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W||1200 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||1800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Does this generator have a L5-30R outlet? (Asked February 6, 2020)
No, it only has a Duplex 5-20R.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.