-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Sportsman GEN2000DF allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,400W and a starting wattage of 2,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,200 rated watts and 1,800 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the GEN2000DF can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), or for around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH) using propane.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the GEN2000DF's weight is only 53 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN2000DF, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 53 lbs, the Sportsman GEN2000DF belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM1200i with only 25.3 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 9 hours at 50% load, the GEN2000DF benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2200, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM1200i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.11 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W dual fuel generators, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W||1,200 W|
|Starting watts||2,000 W||1,800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Does this generator have a L5-30R outlet? (Asked February 6, 2020)
No, it only has a Duplex 5-20R.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.