Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000DF
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Sportsman GEN2000DF provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1400W along with a peak wattage of 2000W. While propane-powered, it provides 1200 rated watts and 1800 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the GEN2000DF can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), or for around 12 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.39 GPH) using propane.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The GEN2000DF can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 53 lbs. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN2000DF, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- With its weight of 53 lbs, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is one of the heavier generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load, the GEN2000DF has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, with around 12 hours .
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (53 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W||1200 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||1800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
QDoes this generator have a L5-30R outlet? (Asked February 6, 2020)
ANo, it only has a Duplex 5-20R.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.