Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN2000 houses a 94 cc (3.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,400W along with a peak wattage of 2,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The GEN2000 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Sportsman GEN2000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the GEN2000's weight is only 53 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN2000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 53 lbs, the Sportsman GEN2000 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, with a dry weight of only 24 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- With a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load, the GEN2000 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2200, boasting with around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W|
|Starting watts||2,000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.