Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000
In summary, the Sportsman GEN2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN2000's engine, 94 cc (3.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 2000W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the GEN2000 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its dimensions of L18.5 x W16 x H14.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Sportsman GEN2000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the GEN2000's weight is only 53 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN2000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Sportsman GEN2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- With a dry weight of 53 pounds, the Sportsman GEN2000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the ECHO EGi-1200, weighing just 30 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As the GEN2000 offers around 9 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Cat INV1250. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.