Zoom on the Sportsman GEN2000-SS
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN2000-SS is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN2000-SS is powered by a 94 cc (3.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,400W as well as a peak wattage of 2,000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music).
With a full tank, the GEN2000-SS can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The design of the Sportsman GEN2000-SS is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18 x W16 x H14.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The GEN2000-SS can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 53 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN2000-SS's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel.
The Sportsman GEN2000-SS is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN2000-SS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN2000-SS compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- As its weight is 53 pounds, the Sportsman GEN2000-SS falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, with a dry weight of just 24 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- With a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the GEN2000-SS has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2200, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.09 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Sportsman GEN2000-SS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||94 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W|
|Starting watts||2,000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 14.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN2000-SS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.