Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000i
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN1000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000i's core is the 40 cc (1.3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 800W and a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 56 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon, the GEN1000i can operate for around 6.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The GEN1000i generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlet safely.
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the Sportsman GEN1000i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L15.6 x W8 x H13.8 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The GEN1000i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 20.3 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The light indicators show you if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN1000i's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN1000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Sportsman GEN1000i only weighs in at 20.3 pounds, which means it's one of the lightest generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 56 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN1000i, with an autonomy of around 6.3 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (20.3 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (56 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||40 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||800 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||6.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15.6 x 8 x 13.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||56 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||GEN1000iC|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Coffee maker||600||600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||620 W||620 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||600 W||900 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.