Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000i
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000i houses a 40 cc (1.3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 800W along with a peak wattage of 1,000W.
With a noise rating of 56 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GEN1000i can operate for around 6.3 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlet, as the GEN1000i produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Sportsman GEN1000i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L15.6 x W8 x H13.8 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a weight of only 20.3 lbs, the GEN1000i may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 1st in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Sportsman GEN1000i's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN1000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Sportsman GEN1000i stands at only 20.3 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lightest devices of the 500-1500 rated wattage category
- With a lowest noise rating of 56 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- The GEN1000i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 6.3 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is one of the most fuel efficient units within its wattage category.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W inverter generators, the Sportsman GEN1000i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (20.3 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (56 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||40 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||800 W|
|Starting watts||1,000 W|
|Running amps||6.7 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15.6 x 8 x 13.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||56 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||GEN1000iC|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||620 W||620 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||600 W||900 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.