Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000i
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000i's engine, 40 cc (1.3 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 800W and reaches a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 56 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon, the GEN1000i can operate for around 6.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the GEN1000i produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlet safely.
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L15.6 x W8 x H13.8 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the GEN1000i weighs only 20.3 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN1000i, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN1000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Sportsman GEN1000i only weighs in at 20.3 pounds, which means it's one of the lightest generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 56 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6.3 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN1000i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (20.3 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (56 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||40 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||800 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||6.7 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15.6 x 8 x 13.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||56 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||GEN1000iC|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Coffee maker||600||600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||620 W||620 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||600 W||900 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.