Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000i
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 40 cc (1.3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 800W and also a peak wattage of 1000W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 56 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon, the GEN1000i may run for around 6.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the GEN1000i produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlet safely.
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L15.6 x W8 x H13.8 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 20.3 lbs, the GEN1000i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Sportsman GEN1000i, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Sportsman GEN1000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Sportsman GEN1000i weighs just 20.3 pounds and thus, it is one of the lightest 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 56 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN1000i, reaching around 6.3 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, which is able to run for around 11 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (20.3 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (56 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||40 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||800 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||6.7 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||15.6 x 8 x 13.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||56 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||GEN1000iC|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Coffee maker||600||600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||620 W||620 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||600 W||900 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.