Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000's engine, 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 900W and reaches a peak wattage of 1000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the GEN1000 to operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN1000, which are L14 x W12 x H12 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the GEN1000 weighs just 38 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle, as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- At a weight of 38 pounds, the Sportsman GEN1000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN1000, with an autonomy of around 5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, which is able to run for around 11 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.16 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (38 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.