Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000 is powered by a 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 900W as well as a peak wattage of 1000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon, the GEN1000 may run for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The Sportsman GEN1000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L14 x W12 x H12 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a weight of only 38 lbs, the GEN1000 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle, further improving its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Sportsman GEN1000 has only 38 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN1000, with an autonomy of around 5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (38 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.