Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000's core is the 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 900W and a peak wattage of 1000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon, the GEN1000 may run for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The dimensions of the Sportsman GEN1000, which are L14 x W12 x H12 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the GEN1000 weighs only 38 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As for its weight, the Sportsman GEN1000 weighs only 38 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GEN1000, reaching around 5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, as it provides around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (38 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.