Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000's engine, 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 900W and reaches a peak wattage of 1000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the GEN1000 to operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The Sportsman GEN1000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L14 x W12 x H12 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Weighing just 38 lbs, the GEN1000 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle, further improving its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As for its weight, the Sportsman GEN1000 weighs only 38 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 65 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GEN1000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, as it provides around 11 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (38 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.