Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000's build contains a gasoline-fueled 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 900W and also a peak wattage of 1000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the GEN1000 to operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
The Sportsman GEN1000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L14 x W12 x H12 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With the weight of only 38 lbs, the GEN1000 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the Sportsman GEN1000 stands at only 38 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 500-1500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only 5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, which is able to run for 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (38 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Sportsman GEN1000?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffallo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Sportsman Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.