Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In a nutshell, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000's core is the 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 900W and a peak wattage of 1,000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
The GEN1000 can operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon.
The control panel features the following AC outlet:
The Sportsman GEN1000 has the following dimensions: L14 x W12 x H12 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GEN1000 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 38 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As its weight is 38 pounds, the Sportsman GEN1000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 65 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the GEN1000, with an autonomy of around 5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, as it provides around 11 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (38 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1,000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.