Zoom on the Sportsman GEN1000
In summary, the Sportsman GEN1000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Sportsman GEN1000 is powered by a 72 cc (2 hp) 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 900W as well as a peak wattage of 1,000W.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.8 gallon allows the GEN1000 to operate for around 5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
The design of the Sportsman GEN1000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L14 x W12 x H12 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the GEN1000 weighs just 38 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle, as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 2nd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Sportsman also included a tool kit in the GEN1000's packaging.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The Sportsman GEN1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Sportsman GEN1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Sportsman GEN1000 has only 38 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 65 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- The GEN1000's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, as it provides around 11 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.16 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Sportsman GEN1000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (38 lbs)
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1,000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||0.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14 x 12 x 12 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Sportsman Series
Sportsman Series is a small brand registered under the US based Buffalo corporation. Founded in 1964, the Buffalo Corporation is a small company, which sells tools and home products. Their brands include AmeriHome, Black Bull, Buffalo Tools and Sportsman Series – which offers a selection of generators and several other general products. The brand, and in fact, the corporation itself seemingly outsources all of its production overseas and acts only as a distributor, under its own brands.
The Sportsman GEN1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Sportsman generators, please contact the Buffalo Tools Customer Support: 1-636-532-9888.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||550 W||970 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.