Zoom on the Ryobi RYi6522
In summary, the Ryobi RYi6522 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi6522's design includes a gasoline-fueled 298 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,500W and also a peak wattage of 6,500W.
With a noise rating of 72.3 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The RYi6522 can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.47 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
As the RYi6522 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Ryobi generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RYi6522 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Ryobi RYi6522, which are L24.4 x W20.9 x H22.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 118 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its set of wheels (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the RYi6522's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RYi6522, the following accessories are also included: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RYi6522 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi6522 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi6522 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As for its weight, the Ryobi RYi6522 weighs only 118 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE with only 106.9 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 72.3 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the RYi6522, reaching around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 6500, as it provides around 14.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.47 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA7000L, with a fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 5000-6000W inverter generators, the Ryobi RYi6522 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (118 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72.3 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|298 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24.4 x 20.9 x 22.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi6522 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.