Zoom on the Ryobi RYi4022X
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi4022X is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi4022X's build contains a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3400W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The RYi4022X can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the RYi4022X generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Ryobi generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L25 x W15.88 x H21.75 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ryobi RYi4022X offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The RYi4022X's dry weight of 85 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, a wheel kit and a folding handle allows you to effortlessly displace it once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
When the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RYi4022X, the following accessories are also included: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi4022X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi4022X compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Ryobi RYi4022X weighs only 85 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Honda EG2800i, with a dry weight of just 66.6 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The RYi4022X, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with 16 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Ryobi RYi4022X is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (85 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Where to buy the Ryobi RYi4022X?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 15.88 x 21.75 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.