Zoom on the Ryobi RYi4022X
In summary, the Ryobi RYi4022X is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi4022X's engine, 212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3400W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this inverter generator gets running thanks to Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The RYi4022X can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons.
As the RYi4022X produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Ryobi generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Ryobi RYi4022X, which are L25 x W15.88 x H21.75 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 85 lbs of the RYi4022X's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi4022X also comes with several accessories, including: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi4022X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi4022X compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 85 lbs, the Ryobi RYi4022X belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3300i, standing at just 47.4 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 72 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Since the RYi4022X boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as one of the inverters with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM3300i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Ryobi RYi4022X is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (85 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 15.88 x 21.75 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2712 W||3712 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
What gauge extension cord to use (Asked October 18, 2020)
Is there a way to parallel two Ryobi 4000 watt inverter generators? (Asked November 16, 2020)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
What is the spark plug gap ? (Asked February 09, 2021)
What is the best oil to use (Asked May 05, 2021)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Does the Ryobi RYI4022X use the same spark plug as the Ryobi RYI2322E? (Asked October 06, 2021)
It doesn't. RYi4022X uses either NGK BPR6ES or NGK BP7ES, depending on the unit's serial number. RYi2322E uses NGK BPR7HS.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.