Zoom on the Ryobi RYi4022X
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi4022X is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi4022X is powered by a 212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3400W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the inverter generator is started via Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The RYi4022X can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons.
As the RYi4022X produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Ryobi generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L25 x W15.88 x H21.75 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ryobi RYi4022X offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 85 lbs, the RYi4022X can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
A light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ryobi RYi4022X's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and oil.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi4022X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi4022X compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Ryobi RYi4022X weighs only 85 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the RYi4022X reaches an autonomy of around 12 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Ryobi RYi4022X is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (85 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 15.88 x 21.75 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2712 W||3712 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
What gauge extension cord to use (Asked October 18, 2020)
Is there a way to parallel two Ryobi 4000 watt inverter generators? (Asked November 16, 2020)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
What is the spark plug gap ? (Asked February 09, 2021)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.