Zoom on the Ryobi RYi4022X
In summary, the Ryobi RYi4022X is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi4022X's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3400W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the inverter generator is started via Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons, the RYi4022X can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the RYi4022X produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
This Ryobi generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Ryobi RYi4022X has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W15.88 x H21.75 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 85 lbs, the RYi4022X can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
A light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RYi4022X also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and oil.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi4022X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi4022X compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Ryobi RYi4022X only weighs in at 85 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As the RYi4022X offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Ryobi RYi4022X is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (85 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 15.88 x 21.75 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi4022X is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2712 W||3712 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.