Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2322VNM
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi2322VNM is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2322VNM's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Ryobi parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The RYi2322VNM can operate for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Ryobi RYi2322VNM is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L22 x W12.5 x H19 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
As the RYi2322VNM's weight is only 51.9 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of wheels and its telecospic handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Place the dial on the “COLD START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the dial on the “RUN/RE-START” position
To help you monitor the RYi2322VNM's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the fuel level, remaining run time and power output.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ryobi RYi2322VNM's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
Ryobi’s GenControl technology lets you control your generator from your smartphone. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the GenControl app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the GenControl App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the RYi2322VNM. Moreover, the GenControl app also supports parallel operation.
The Ryobi RYi2322VNM is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2322VNM versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2322VNM compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 51.9 lbs, the Ryobi RYi2322VNM belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 57 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering up to 10.3 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the RYi2322VNM is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2322VNM is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- GenControl App
- Decent weight (51.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2322VNM is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.