Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2322E
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi2322E is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2322E's engine, 79 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1800W and reaches a peak wattage of 2300W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Ryobi parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below) and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2322E can operate for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
The RYi2322E generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Ryobi RYi2322E is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25.1 x W13.3 x H18.4 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
As the RYi2322E's weight is only 57 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Place the dial on the “COLD START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the dial on the “RUN/RE-START” position
The control panel of the RYi2322E includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the fuel level, power output and remaining run time.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi2322E also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, tool kit, oil and battery charger.
Ryobi’s GenControl technology lets you control your generator from your smartphone. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the GenControl app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the GenControl App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the RYi2322E. Moreover, the GenControl app also supports parallel operation.
The Ryobi RYi2322E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2322E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2322E compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 57 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2322E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 57 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Given that the RYi2322E reaches an autonomy of up to 10.3 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2322E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- GenControl App
- Decent weight (57 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, and battery|
|Other model numbers||RYi2322EVNM|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2322E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.