Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2300BTA
In summary, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Ryobi parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2300BTA may run for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
The RYi2300BTA generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L22 x W12.5 x H19 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The RYi2300BTA's dry weight of 53 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its set of wheels and its telecospic handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the RYi2300BTA’s control panel, gives you information on the fuel level, power output and remaining run time, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil.
Ryobi’s GenControl technology lets you control your generator from your smartphone. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the GenControl app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the GenControl App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the RYi2300BTA. Moreover, the GenControl app also supports parallel operation.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2300BTA compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 53 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 57 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Given that the RYi2300BTA reaches an autonomy of up to 10.3 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- GenControl App
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.