Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2300BTA
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA houses a 80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2300W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Ryobi parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2300BTA can operate for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
The RYi2300BTA generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L22 x W12.5 x H19 in), the Ryobi RYi2300BTA, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 53 lbs of the RYi2300BTA's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible with a wheel kit and a telescopic handle.
Monitoring of the RYi2300BTA's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the fuel level, power output and remaining run time and is one of the features of its control panel.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, oil and funnel.
Ryobi’s GenControl technology lets you control your generator from your smartphone. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the GenControl app (available on iOS and Android devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the GenControl App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the RYi2300BTA. Moreover, the GenControl app also supports parallel operation.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2300BTA compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 53 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 57 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The RYi2300BTA, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of 10.3 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV2000P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2300BTA is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- GenControl App
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Where to buy the Ryobi RYi2300BTA?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5VV|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Remaining run time, fuel level and power output|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2300BTA is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.