Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2200GR
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi2200GR is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2200GR houses a 80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1700W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Ryobi parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below). It is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2200GR may run for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the RYi2200GR generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Since the Ryobi RYi2200GR is an inverter generator, its closed design (L22 x W12.5 x H19 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a dry weight of 53 lbs, the RYi2200GR can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, a wheel kit and a telecospic handle allows you to effortlessly displace it once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Place the dial on the “COLD START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the dial on the “RUN/RE-START” position
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Ryobi RYi2200GR also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Ryobi RYi2200GR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2200GR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2200GR compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 53 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2200GR places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 57 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The RYi2200GR, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 10.3 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2200GR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (53 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2200GR is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.