Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2022
In summary, the Ryobi RYi2022 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2022 houses a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,650W along with a peak wattage of 2,050W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2022 can operate for around 7.8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The RYi2022 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The Ryobi RYi2022 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L22 x W12.5 x H19 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
As the RYi2022's weight is only 53 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the RYi2022 across any distance.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Place the dial on the “COLD START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the dial on the “RUN/RE-START” position
A light indicator shows you if the generator is overloaded.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also benefits from Ryobi's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi2022 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Ryobi RYi2022 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2022 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2022 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its dry weight is 53 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2022 is one of the heavier of the inverters which can generate 1500 to 2500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 57 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 7.8 hours at 50% load, the RYi2022 benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, boasting with around 10 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Ryobi RYi2022 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (57 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (53 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,650 W|
|Starting watts||2,050 W|
|Running amps||13.8 amps|
|Peak amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||RYi2022VNM|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2022 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1300 W||1300 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.