Zoom on the Ryobi RYi2000GRA
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi2000GRA is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi2000GRA's engine, 80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1600W and reaches a peak wattage of 2000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the RYi2000GRA may run for up to 10.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the RYi2000GRA produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
As the Ryobi RYi2000GRA is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.5 x W12.5 x H19 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The RYi2000GRA can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 52 lbs. Furthermore, moving the RYi2000GRA from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Place the dial on the “COLD START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the dial on the “RUN/RE-START” position
The device’s light indicator will display if the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RYi2000GRA, the following accessories are also included: funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Ryobi RYi2000GRA is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi2000GRA versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi2000GRA compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 52 pounds, the Ryobi RYi2000GRA falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 57 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Offering up to 10.3 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the RYi2000GRA is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ryobi RYi2000GRA is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (52 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 12.5 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi2000GRA is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.