Zoom on the Ryobi RYi1000
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi1000 houses a 54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 900W along with a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon allows the RYi1000 to operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.08 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlet safely, as the RYi1000 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
As the Ryobi RYi1000 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L16.5 x W16.5 x H16 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the RYi1000 weighs just 35 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
When the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi1000 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Ryobi RYi1000 weighs just 35 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- The RYi1000, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.08 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Ryobi RYi1000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (35 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.5 x 16.5 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.