Zoom on the Ryobi RYi1000
In summary, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi1000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 900W and also a peak wattage of 1000W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon, the RYi1000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.08 GPH).
The RYi1000 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlet.
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
Since the Ryobi RYi1000 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L16.5 x W16.5 x H16 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The RYi1000 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 35 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Ryobi RYi1000 also comes with several accessories, including: oil and funnel.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Ryobi RYi1000 only weighs in at 35 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- Offering around 8 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the RYi1000 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Ryobi RYi1000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (35 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.5 x 16.5 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|Total||680 W||980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.