Zoom on the Ryobi RYi1000
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi1000's core is the 54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 900W and a peak wattage of 1000W.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon allows the RYi1000 to operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.08 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlet, as the RYi1000 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following AC outlet:
The Ryobi RYi1000's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L19.8 x W12 x H19.4 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 35 lbs, the RYi1000 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Ryobi RYi1000 also comes with some accessories: funnel and oil are included.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Ryobi RYi1000 only weighs in at 35 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 65 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Given that the RYi1000 reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the most fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Ryobi RYi1000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (35 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peak amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 12 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Rice cooker||650||650|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||705 W||705 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||575 W||995 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||680 W||680 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.