Zoom on the Ryobi RYi1000
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RYi1000's core is the 54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 900W and a peak wattage of 1000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The RYi1000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.08 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon.
The RYi1000 generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlet safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
As the Ryobi RYi1000 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L16.5 x W16.5 x H16 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The RYi1000 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 35 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. A handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RYi1000, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RYi1000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RYi1000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Ryobi RYi1000 weighs just 35 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the RYi1000 reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.08 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Ryobi RYi1000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (35 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.5 x 16.5 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RYi1000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.