This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the Ryobi RY906500S, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Ryobi RY907022FI
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY907022FI is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY907022FI houses a 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7,000W along with a peak wattage of 8,750W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
With a full tank, the RY907022FI can operate for around 9.3 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
As the RY907022FI has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RY907022FI is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L34 x W31 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ryobi RY907022FI offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 214 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The RY907022FI and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ryobi RY907022FI's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY907022FI is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY907022FI versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY907022FI compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With its weight of 214 lbs, the Ryobi RY907022FI is one of the heavier generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the RY907022FI, reaching around 9.3 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500E, with around 14 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.65 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH, the Energizer eZV7500 is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (214 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7,000 W|
|Starting watts||8,750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||34 x 31 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY907022FI is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
What is the purpose of the “check engine" light? What does it mean when it lights up? (Asked December 26, 2019)
The "check engine" indicator light in the control panel will illuminate to indicate a fault in the engine’s fuel injection system.