Zoom on the Ryobi RY906500S
In summary, the Ryobi RY906500S is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY906500S's engine, 420 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6500W and reaches a peak wattage of 8125W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanism is based on Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
With a full tank, the RY906500S can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Because the RY906500S is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Ryobi RY906500S, which are L39 x W29 x H24.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 195 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The RY906500S and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ryobi RY906500S's package also includes these accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY906500S is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY906500S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY906500S compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 195 lbs, the Ryobi RY906500S belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6000 and 7000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- The RY906500S's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Ryobi RY906500S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (195 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||39 x 29 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY906500S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5172 W||6647 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5180 W||5600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Who makes the engine for this generator. (Asked July 13, 2019)
The 420cc engine of the Ryobi RY906500S is manufactured by Ducar.
What type oil is recommended for the RY906500S? (Asked April 24, 2020)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Can you get in inverter to connect with the model RY906500S? (Asked June 10, 2020)
Unsure what you are trying to achieve. This unit outputs AC power. An inverter converts DC into AC. If you need clean power, you should consider an inverter generator.
Both my oven and A/C need 50 amps. Will this unit be able to run my oven and A/C during a blackout? (Asked June 14, 2020)
This unit does not feature a 50-amp outlet. Assuming that you were talking about their combined draw, and that they both operate on 120V, you'd be pulling 6000W out of the 6500W. As we recommend to keep the load under 80%, you should be looking at a unit able to deliver around 7500 running watts.
How many gallons does it use per hour? (Asked July 09, 2020)
Fuel consumption depends on load. At 50% load, it should be around 0.6 gallon per hour.
Is this unit OK to operate in the rain? (Asked August 03, 2020)
Please refer to our article on rain and snow operation, which applies to any existing unit.
What kind of gasoline does it use? Is just regular unleaded or a mix? And which mix? (Asked August 26, 2020)
Gasoline should be unleaded, with no more than 10% ethanol. The engine is 4-cycle, so gas shouldn't be mixed with oil.
Can you convert this generator from gas to natural gas? Is there a certain converter kit you need to make this happen? (Asked August 27, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits.
what is the oil capacity on model RY906500S generator? I purchased new and without oil. However, a bottle of oil came with the unit. It is 32 fluid ounces. How much do I put in the generator? (Asked August 28, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is approximately 32 fl. oz.
Is there a special kit to purchase to attach to breaker box (Asked October 04, 2020)
The L14-30R outlet allows for an easy connection to a majority of transfer switches. This connection should be done by a licensed electrician.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.