Zoom on the Ryobi RY906500S
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY906500S is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY906500S houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 6500W along with a peak wattage of 8125W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanism is based on Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
With a full tank, the RY906500S can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the RY906500S holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Ryobi RY906500S, which are L39 x W29 x H24.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 195 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The control panel of the RY906500S includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ryobi RY906500S's package also includes these accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY906500S is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY906500S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY906500S compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 195 lbs, the Ryobi RY906500S belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6000 and 7000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the RY906500S, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500E, as it provides around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA7000L, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.36 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Ryobi RY906500S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (195 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||39 x 29 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY906500S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5172 W||6647 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5180 W||5600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Who makes the engine for this generator. (Asked July 13, 2019)
The 420cc engine of the Ryobi RY906500S is manufactured by Ducar.
What type oil is recommended for the RY906500S? (Asked April 24, 2020)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Can you get in inverter to connect with the model RY906500S? (Asked June 10, 2020)
Unsure what you are trying to achieve. This unit outputs AC power. An inverter converts DC into AC. If you need clean power, you should consider an inverter generator.
Both my oven and A/C need 50 amps. Will this unit be able to run my oven and A/C during a blackout? (Asked June 14, 2020)
This unit does not feature a 50-amp outlet. Assuming that you were talking about their combined draw, and that they both operate on 120V, you'd be pulling 6000W out of the 6500W. As we recommend to keep the load under 80%, you should be looking at a unit able to deliver around 7500 running watts.
How many gallons does it use per hour? (Asked July 09, 2020)
Fuel consumption depends on load. At 50% load, it should be around 0.6 gallon per hour.
Is this unit OK to operate in the rain? (Asked August 03, 2020)
Please refer to our article on rain and snow operation, which applies to any existing unit.
What kind of gasoline does it use? Is just regular unleaded or a mix? And which mix? (Asked August 26, 2020)
Gasoline should be unleaded, with no more than 10% ethanol. The engine is 4-cycle, so gas shouldn't be mixed with oil.
Can you convert this generator from gas to natural gas? Is there a certain converter kit you need to make this happen? (Asked August 27, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits.
what is the oil capacity on model RY906500S generator? I purchased new and without oil. However, a bottle of oil came with the unit. It is 32 fluid ounces. How much do I put in the generator? (Asked August 28, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is approximately 32 fl. oz.
Is there a special kit to purchase to attach to breaker box (Asked October 04, 2020)
The L14-30R outlet allows for an easy connection to a majority of transfer switches. This connection should be done by a licensed electrician.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.