Zoom on the Ryobi RY906500S
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY906500S is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY906500S is powered by a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6,500W as well as a peak wattage of 8,125W.
The generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
With a full tank, the RY906500S can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Since the RY906500S bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Ryobi RY906500S has the following dimensions: L39 x W29 x H24.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 195 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The RY906500S's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the LED on the sensor will flash red and the generator will automatically shut down.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RY906500S, the following accessories are also included: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY906500S is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY906500S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY906500S compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 195 lbs, the Ryobi RY906500S belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6000 and 7000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a dry weight of only 118 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 72 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the RY906500S falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG7500, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA7000L, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.36 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Ryobi RY906500S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO sensor
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (195 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|420 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|39 x 29 x 24.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY906500S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Air compressor (1 hp)
Who makes the engine for this generator. (Asked July 13, 2019)
The 420cc engine of the Ryobi RY906500S is manufactured by Ducar.
What type oil is recommended for the RY906500S? (Asked April 24, 2020)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Can you get in inverter to connect with the model RY906500S? (Asked June 10, 2020)
Unsure what you are trying to achieve. This unit outputs AC power. An inverter converts DC into AC. If you need clean power, you should consider an inverter generator.
Both my oven and A/C need 50 amps. Will this unit be able to run my oven and A/C during a blackout? (Asked June 14, 2020)
This unit does not feature a 50-amp outlet. Assuming that you were talking about their combined draw, and that they both operate on 120V, you'd be pulling 6000W out of the 6500W. As we recommend to keep the load under 80%, you should be looking at a unit able to deliver around 7500 running watts.
How many gallons does it use per hour? (Asked July 09, 2020)
Fuel consumption depends on load. At 50% load, it should be around 0.6 gallon per hour.
Is this unit OK to operate in the rain? (Asked August 03, 2020)
Please refer to our article on rain and snow operation, which applies to any existing unit.
What kind of gasoline does it use? Is just regular unleaded or a mix? And which mix? (Asked August 26, 2020)
Gasoline should be unleaded, with no more than 10% ethanol. The engine is 4-cycle, so gas shouldn't be mixed with oil.
Can you convert this generator from gas to natural gas? Is there a certain converter kit you need to make this happen? (Asked August 27, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits.
what is the oil capacity on model RY906500S generator? I purchased new and without oil. However, a bottle of oil came with the unit. It is 32 fluid ounces. How much do I put in the generator? (Asked August 28, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is approximately 32 fl. oz.
Is there a special kit to purchase to attach to breaker box (Asked October 04, 2020)
The L14-30R outlet allows for an easy connection to a majority of transfer switches. This connection should be done by a licensed electrician.
what are the little black "buttons" next to the outlets and how do you use them? (Asked December 21, 2022)
These are reset buttons for the circuit breakers. Circuit breakers will automatically switch OFF if there is a short circuit or a significant overload of the generator at each receptacle.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.