Zoom on the Ryobi RY905500
In summary, the Ryobi RY905500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY905500 is powered by a 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6875W.
At a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The RY905500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the RY905500 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L31.5 x W29 x H24 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ryobi RY905500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 192 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
To help you monitor the RY905500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RY905500 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY905500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY905500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY905500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 192 lbs, the Ryobi RY905500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 100519, weighing just 121 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the RY905500, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Ryobi RY905500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (192 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 29 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY905500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
QIs there a conversion kit to electric start? (Asked October 15, 2019)
AAs far as we know, there are no official conversion kits that serve that purpose.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.