Zoom on the Ryobi RY905500
In summary, the Ryobi RY905500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY905500 is powered by a 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6875W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
The fuel capacity of 6 gallons allows the RY905500 to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH).
The RY905500 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the RY905500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Ryobi RY905500, which are L31.5 x W29 x H24 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 192 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The control panel of the RY905500 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RY905500 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY905500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY905500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY905500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 192 lbs, the Ryobi RY905500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a dry weight of just 107 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 78 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the RY905500, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Ryobi RY905500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (192 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 29 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY905500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5497 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
Is there a conversion kit to electric start? (Asked October 15, 2019)
As far as we know, there are no official conversion kits that serve that purpose.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.