This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Ryobi RY906500S. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Ryobi RY905500
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY905500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY905500's core is the 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6875W.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
With a full tank, the RY905500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the RY905500 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Because the RY905500 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the Ryobi RY905500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L31.5 x W29 x H24 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 192 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
To help you monitor the RY905500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RY905500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and oil.
The Ryobi RY905500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY905500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY905500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its weight is 192 pounds, the Ryobi RY905500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the RY905500 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (192 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 29 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY905500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
Is there a conversion kit to electric start? (Asked October 15, 2019)
As far as we know, there are no official conversion kits that serve that purpose.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.