This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Ryobi RY906500S. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Ryobi RY905500
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY905500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY905500 houses a 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6875W.
The generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below). It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
The RY905500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the RY905500 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RY905500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Ryobi RY905500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L31.5 x W29 x H24 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 192 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The RY905500's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ryobi RY905500, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and oil.
The Ryobi RY905500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY905500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY905500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a dry weight of 192 pounds, the Ryobi RY905500 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the RY905500, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (192 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 29 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of most retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY905500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-860-4050.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
Is there a conversion kit to electric start? (Asked October 15, 2019)
As far as we know, there are no official conversion kits that serve that purpose.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.