-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Ryobi RY906500S. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Ryobi RY905500
In a nutshell, the Ryobi RY905500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY905500 is powered by a 420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,500W as well as a peak wattage of 6,875W.
The generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below). It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower).
The RY905500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The RY905500 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RY905500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Ryobi RY905500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L31.5 x W29 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 192 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
The RY905500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Ryobi RY905500 also comes with some accessories: tool kit and oil are included.
The Ryobi RY905500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY905500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY905500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- With its weight of 192 lbs, the Ryobi RY905500 is one of the heavier generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE with only 106.9 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the RY905500 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.6 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.36 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (192 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,500 W|
|Starting watts||6,875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Fuel tank||6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 29 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY905500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
Is there a conversion kit to electric start? (Asked October 15, 2019)
As far as we know, there are no official conversion kits that serve that purpose.
what spark plug belongs in the 420 cc (Asked November 06, 2021)
Spark plug should be LG F7TC or equivalent.
how much oil does it take (Asked October 03, 2022)
Engine oil capacity is approximately 37 fl.oz.