No CO sensor
This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Ryobi RY903622. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Ryobi RY903600
In summary, the Ryobi RY903600 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ryobi RY903600's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3600W and also a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features Ryobi's EasyStart pull-start mechanism (more information below).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the RY903600 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
As the RY903600 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
This Ryobi generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Ryobi RY903600 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W26 x H20.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 113 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The unit benefits from Ryobi’s EasyStart mechanism. This 3-step starting system allows you to easily start your generator. It works in the following way:
- Put the engine switch on the “ON” position, and place the lever on the “START” position
- Pull the recoil until the engine runs
- Let the engine run 15 to 30 seconds and place the lever on the “RUN” position
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ryobi RY903600 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Ryobi RY903600 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ryobi RY903600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ryobi RY903600 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 113 lbs, the Ryobi RY903600 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 72 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the RY903600, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (113 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Ryobi OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 26 x 20.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1943, Ryobi Limited is a Japanese based manufacturer that throughout its history mainly focused on electrical and automotive components. However, their quite recent power tool branch has proven to be popular for the quality and reliability of its products, which are nowadays found globally on the shelves of popular retailers. Ryobi products are listed to be produced in various locations globally, mainly US, Germany, Japan and China.
The Ryobi RY903600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ryobi generators, please consult Ryobi's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-525-2579.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||4367 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What spark plug is in it? (Asked February 12, 2020)
The spark plug part number is 30010-Z010210-0000.
What type of oil use this generator when we have to change the oil? (Asked May 30, 2020)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W-30 is recommended.
Can I replace the 125 volt 30 amp receptacle on my ryobi 3600 watt generator (Asked October 23, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Ryobi: 1-877-634-5704.
does the generator have a fuel cutoff to switch on to let run till all is out of the carberator? (Asked January 24, 2022)
The unit does not have such feature. Tank and carburetor must be drained manually. Procedure is explained page 16 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.