Zoom on the Rainier R4400
In a nutshell, the Rainier R4400 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Rainier R4400's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (5.9 hp) Rainier OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,600W and also a peak wattage of 4,400W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the R4400 can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the R4400 is not recommended due to its high THD (<23%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Rainier generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Rainier R4400 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.5 x W23 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 111 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the R4400's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Rainier R4400 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Rainier R4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Rainier R4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 111 lbs, the Rainier R4400 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering up to 18 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the R4400 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Rainier R4400 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||4,400 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 23 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please contact the Rainier Customer Support: 1-844-202-2411.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.