Zoom on the Rainier R4400
In summary, the Rainier R4400 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Rainier R4400's engine, 212 cc (5.9 hp) Rainier OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4400W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the R4400 can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
As the R4400 has a relatively high THD (<23%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Rainier generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Rainier R4400 has the following dimensions: L23.5 x W23 x H21 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 111 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The R4400's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Rainier R4400 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Rainier R4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Rainier R4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 111 lbs, the Rainier R4400 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering up to 18 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the R4400 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 23 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please contact the Rainier Customer Support: 1-844-202-2411.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.