Zoom on the Rainier R4400
In summary, the Rainier R4400 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Rainier R4400 houses a 212 cc (5.9 hp) Rainier OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3600W along with a peak wattage of 4400W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The R4400 can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
Since the R4400 has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Rainier generator is RV Ready.
The Rainier R4400 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.5 x W23 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 111 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The R4400's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Rainier R4400 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Rainier R4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Rainier R4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 111 lbs, the Rainier R4400 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The R4400, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 18 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 23 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please contact the Rainier Customer Support: 1-844-202-2411.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.