Zoom on the Rainier R4400
In summary, the Rainier R4400 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Rainier R4400's core is the 212 cc (5.9 hp) Rainier OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4400W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the R4400 can operate for up to 18 hours (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The quite high THD (<23%) of the R4400 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive of electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Rainier generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L23.5 x W23 x H21 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Rainier R4400 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 111 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The R4400's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Rainier R4400 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Rainier R4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Rainier R4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Rainier R4400 weighs only 111 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Energizer eZV4500, standing at just 78 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the R4400 boasts with a run time of 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Rainier R4400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (111 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Where to buy the Rainier R4400?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 23 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Rainier R4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please consult Rainier's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: email@example.com.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.