Zoom on the Rainier R4400
In a nutshell, the Rainier R4400 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Rainier R4400's engine, 212 cc (5.9 hp) Rainier OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4400W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the R4400 may run for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The R4400 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Rainier generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L23.5 x W23 x H21 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Rainier R4400 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 111 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The R4400's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Rainier R4400's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Rainier R4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Rainier R4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 111 pounds, the Rainier R4400 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The R4400, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 18 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100892, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Rainier R4400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Decent weight (111 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 23 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please consult Rainier's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: email@example.com.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.