Zoom on the Westinghouse R12000DF
In a nutshell, the Westinghouse R12000DF is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Westinghouse R12000DF provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 9500W along with a peak wattage of 12000W. While propane-powered, it provides 8550 rated watts and 10800 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the R12000DF, along with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 17 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the R12000DF is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
While this Westinghouse generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the R12000DF is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Westinghouse R12000DF has the following dimensions: L29 x W24.5 x H24 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 196 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The R12000DF and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Westinghouse also included a propane hose in the R12000DF's packaging.
The Westinghouse R12000DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Westinghouse R12000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Westinghouse R12000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- As for its weight, the Westinghouse R12000DF weighs only 196 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage category.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The R12000DF provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 17 hours at 25% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500, boasting with up to 17.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.39 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Westinghouse R12000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (196 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 24.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The US based Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment is a legacy subsidiary of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, founded in 1886. While the company has been acquired and merged into the American CBS, the Westinghouse name remains as the brand name for many of their electrical solutions, which stretch across the scale from power plants to portable generators – which are the main product of the Outdoor Power Equipment branch of Westinghouse. Lawn equipment, such as trimmers and blowers, is also sold under the Westinghouse brand name. All of their products are designed in the US. However, several sources report that they are in many cases manufactured in China.
The Westinghouse R12000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Westinghouse generators, please consult Westinghouse's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-855-944-3571.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.