Zoom on the Rainier R12000DF
In a nutshell, the Rainier R12000DF is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Rainier R12000DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9500W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8550 rated watts and 10800 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the R12000DF, with a 6.6 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 17 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH).
The R12000DF is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Rainier unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, because the R12000DF is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Rainier R12000DF, which are L29 x W24.5 x H24 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 196 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The R12000DF's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Rainier also included a propane hose in the R12000DF's packaging.
The Rainier R12000DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Rainier R12000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R12000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Rainier R12000DF stands at only 196 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lightest devices of the 9000-10000 rated wattage category
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 17 hours at 25% load, the R12000DF benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500, reaching up to 17.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.39 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Rainier R12000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (196 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 24.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R12000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please consult Rainier's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: email@example.com.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7572 W||9047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.