Zoom on the Rainier R12000DF
In summary, the Rainier R12000DF is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Rainier R12000DF allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9500W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8550 rated watts and 10800 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the R12000DF, along with its 6.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 17 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH).
Since the R12000DF has a somewhat high THD (<23%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Rainier unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, because the R12000DF is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L29 x W24.5 x H24 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Rainier R12000DF offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 196 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The R12000DF's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Rainier also included a propane hose in the R12000DF's packaging.
The Rainier R12000DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Rainier R12000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R12000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- As for its weight, the Rainier R12000DF weighs only 196 pounds, making it one of the lightest generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage category.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the R12000DF features an autonomy of up to 17 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, as it provides up to 17.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.39 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (196 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 24.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R12000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please contact the Rainier Customer Support: 1-844-202-2411.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7572 W||9047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.