Zoom on the Rainier R12000DF
In summary, the Rainier R12000DF is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Rainier R12000DF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9500W and a peak wattage of 12000W. When propane-powered, it has 8550 rated watts and 10800 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the R12000DF can operate for up to 17 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), or for up to 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the R12000DF is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
While this Rainier generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the R12000DF holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Rainier R12000DF, which are L29 x W24.5 x H24 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 196 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the R12000DF includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Rainier also included a propane hose in the R12000DF's packaging.
The Rainier R12000DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Rainier R12000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R12000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Rainier R12000DF only weighs in at 196 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of 17 hours at 25% load, the R12000DF benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500, boasting with 17.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.39 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Rainier R12000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (196 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Rainier R12000DF?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 24.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Rainier R12000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please consult Rainier's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: email@example.com.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.