Zoom on the Rainier R12000DF
In summary, the Rainier R12000DF is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Rainier R12000DF delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9500W and a peak wattage of 12000W. When propane-powered, it has 8550 rated watts and 10800 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The R12000DF, with a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 17 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 11 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.43 GPH) with propane.
The R12000DF is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<23%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Rainier unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, because the R12000DF is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the Rainier R12000DF is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W24.5 x H24 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 196 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The R12000DF and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Rainier also included a propane hose in the R12000DF's packaging.
The Rainier R12000DF is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Rainier R12000DF versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Rainier R12000DF compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- As for its weight, the Rainier R12000DF weighs only 196 pounds, making it one of the lightest generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage category.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 17 hours at 25% load, the R12000DF benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, reaching up to 17.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.39 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Rainier R12000DF is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (196 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Rainier OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 24.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Rainier Outdoor Power Equipment, LLC is a subsidiary of Midwest Equipment Sales, LLC, based in Ohio, USA. Midwest Equipment Sales has over 150 combined years of experience in the business of supplying high quality products to the heavy construction industry, including equipment for outdoor power needs. They also manage the Westinghouse brand of portable generators, so one might expect similar quality of the Rainier brand. The Rainier brand of portable power products are available exclusively through Amazon.
The Rainier R12000DF is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Rainier generators, please contact the Rainier Customer Support: 1-844-202-2411.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.