-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 17
Zoom on the Pulsar PGD40iSCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO's core is the 145 cc (5.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,200W and a peak wattage of 4,000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The PGD40iSCO can operate for around 4.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The PGD40iSCO produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.9 x W11.4 x H17.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PGD40iSCO weighs just 46 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PGD40iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO only weighs in at 46 pounds, which means it's one of the lightest inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 59 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 4.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the PGD40iSCO is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is one of the most fuel efficient units within its wattage category.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||145 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.9 x 11.4 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2557 W||3557 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.