Zoom on the Pulsar PGD40iSCO
In summary, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is powered by a 145 cc (5.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,200W as well as a peak wattage of 4,000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the PGD40iSCO may run for around 4.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The PGD40iSCO produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L18.9 x W11.4 x H17.3 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 46 lbs, the PGD40iSCO can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PGD40iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO only weighs in at 46 pounds, which means it's one of the lightest inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 59 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The PGD40iSCO's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 4.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, boasting with around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the most fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||145 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.9 x 11.4 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2542 W||3542 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.