Zoom on the Pulsar PGD40iSCO
In summary, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO's core is the 145 cc (5.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,200W and a peak wattage of 4,000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the PGD40iSCO to operate for around 4.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The PGD40iSCO produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
As the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.9 x W11.4 x H17.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PGD40iSCO weighs just 46 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PGD40iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO only weighs in at 46 pounds, which means it's one of the lightest inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 59 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 4.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the PGD40iSCO is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is one of the most fuel efficient units within its wattage category.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (59 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||145 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.9 x 11.4 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PGD40iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2542 W||3542 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.