Zoom on the Pulsar PGD16iSCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PGD16iSCO is powered by a 57 cc (2.1 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,200W as well as a peak wattage of 1,600W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 56 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon, the PGD16iSCO can operate for around 6.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PGD16iSCO generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.1 x W9.6 x H15.7 in), the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the PGD16iSCO weighs only 24 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 7th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PGD16iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PGD16iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PGD16iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO stands at only 24 lbs, meaning that is one of the lightest inverters of the 1000-2000 rated wattage category
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 56 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As the PGD16iSCO offers around 6.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, as it provides around 10 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as one of the most fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range.
The bottom line
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (24 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (56 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||57 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,200 W|
|Starting watts||1,600 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||13.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.1 x 9.6 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||56 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PGD16iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||592 W||1592 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||950 W||1370 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.