Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580E
In summary, the Pulsar PG6580E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6580E houses a 274 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6580W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the PG6580E can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6580E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Pulsar PG6580E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.5 x W21 x H22 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 140 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The PG6580E and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG6580E also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG6580E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580E compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG6580E weighs just 140 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5000 to 6000 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of just 106.9 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG6580E benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.36 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Pulsar PG6580E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (140 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6580 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5497 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Who makes the engine? (Asked June 08, 2020)
The engine of the PG6580E is manufactured by Ducar.
what is the voltage of the battery that comes with the electric start model. 6V or 12V (Asked July 04, 2021)
Battery is 12V.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.