Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580E
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6580E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6580E's engine, 274 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6580W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons, the PG6580E may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, because the PG6580E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L27.5 x W21 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG6580E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 140 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The PG6580E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG6580E also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG6580E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580E compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG6580E has only 140 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 5000 to 6000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN6000, standing at just 119 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 72 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The PG6580E, offering a run time of around 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a fuel consumption of 0.35 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Pulsar PG6580E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (140 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6580 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Who makes the engine? (Asked June 08, 2020)
The engine of the PG6580E is manufactured by Ducar.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.