Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580E
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6580E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6580E houses a 274 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6580W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons, the PG6580E may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.43 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Pulsar generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6580E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L27.5 x W21 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG6580E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 140 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The PG6580E and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG6580E's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG6580E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580E compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG6580E has only 140 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 5000 to 6000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN6000, standing at just 119 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- As the PG6580E offers around 12 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.43 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, with a fuel consumption of 0.35 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Pulsar PG6580E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (140 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6580 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5497 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Who makes the engine? (Asked June 08, 2020)
The engine of the PG6580E is manufactured by Ducar.
what is the voltage of the battery that comes with the electric start model. 6V or 12V (Asked July 04, 2021)
Battery is 12V.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.