Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580ECO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6580ECO is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6580ECO's design includes a gasoline-fueled 274 cc (9 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,300W and also a peak wattage of 6,580W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons, the PG6580ECO can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Since the PG6580ECO bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Pulsar PG6580ECO has the following dimensions: L26.6 x W19.7 x H18.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 140 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The PG6580ECO and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG6580ECO's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG6580ECO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580ECO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580ECO compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG6580ECO weighs just 140 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 75 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The PG6580ECO, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 6500, reaching around 14.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.52 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the WEN GN5600, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6580ECO is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (140 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,300 W|
|Starting watts||6,580 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 19.7 x 18.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580ECO is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Who makes the engine? (Asked June 08, 2020)
The engine of the PG6580E is manufactured by Ducar.
what is the voltage of the battery that comes with the electric start model. 6V or 12V (Asked July 04, 2021)
Battery is 12V.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.