Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580BCO
In summary, the Pulsar PG6580BCO is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Pulsar PG6580BCO delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5,300W and a peak wattage of 6,580W. When propane-powered, it has 4,750 rated watts and 5,922 peak watts.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Regarding its running time, the PG6580BCO, with a 5.3 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 6 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH).
Since the PG6580BCO has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the PG6580BCO is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO has the following dimensions: L23.3 x W20 x H18.6 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 143.5 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the PG6580BCO's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG6580BCO also comes with some accessories: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and oil are included.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580BCO compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As its weight is 143.5 pounds, the Pulsar PG6580BCO falls in the expected weight range of the dual fuel devices in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM6000iED, with a dry weight of just 117.9 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 75 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Genmax GM6000iED. With just 63 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the PG6580BCO features an autonomy of around 10 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar G65BN, with around 11.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.43 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the Pulsar PG6580BCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- High run time
- Decent weight (143.5 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W||4,750 W|
|Starting watts||6,580 W||5,922 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps||49.4/24.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||5.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 20 x 18.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.