Zoom on the Pulsar PG6580BCO
In summary, the Pulsar PG6580BCO is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG6580BCO allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5,300W and a starting wattage of 6,580W. If propane-powered, it gives 4,750 rated watts and 5,922 starting watts.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
At a noise rating of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the PG6580BCO, with a 5.3 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 6 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.78 GPH).
As the PG6580BCO has a high THD (<25%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as the PG6580BCO holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG6580BCO, which are L23.3 x W20 x H18.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 143.5 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The PG6580BCO and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG6580BCO also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6580BCO compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As its weight is 143.5 pounds, the Pulsar PG6580BCO falls in the expected weight range of the dual fuel devices in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000iED, with a dry weight of only 117.9 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 75 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Genmax GM6000iED, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 63 dBA.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG6580BCO is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar G65BN, with around 11.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this generator uses an estimated 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.43 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W dual fuel generators, the Pulsar PG6580BCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV Ready
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (143.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||274 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,300 W||4,750 W|
|Starting watts||6,580 W||5,922 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||44.2/22.1 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.8/27.4 amps||49.4/24.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||5.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 20 x 18.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6580BCO is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4217 W||5692 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4235 W||4655 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3800 W||6500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.