-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 1
Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000R
In summary, the Pulsar PG6000R is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000R houses a 274 cc (8.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5,000W along with a peak wattage of 6,000W.
At a noise rating of 73 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons, the PG6000R may run for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000R is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG6000R, which are L24.5 x W23.5 x H21.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 126 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The PG6000R's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG6000R's packaging.
The Pulsar PG6000R is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000R versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000R compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG6000R weighs just 126 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 73 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Since the PG6000R boasts with a run time of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 6500, which is able to run for around 14.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the WEN GN5602X, with a fuel consumption of 0.35 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000R is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (126 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (73 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 23.5 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000R is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.