Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000R
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6000R is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000R's design includes a gasoline-fueled 274 cc (8.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5000W and also a peak wattage of 6000W.
At a noise rating of 73 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5.2 gallons, the PG6000R can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Pulsar generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000R is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Pulsar PG6000R is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.5 x W23.5 x H21.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 126 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the PG6000R includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG6000R's packaging.
The Pulsar PG6000R is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000R versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000R compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Pulsar PG6000R weighs only 126 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM6000XiE, weighing just 106.9 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 73 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the PG6000R boasts with a run time of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM5500i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.41 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000R is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (126 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (73 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||274 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||5.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 23.5 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000R is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.