Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000's core is the 302 cc (10 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5000W and a peak wattage of 6000W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the PG6000 to operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.49 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Pulsar PG6000 has the following dimensions: L27.5 x W21.1 x H21.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 159 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The PG6000's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Pulsar PG6000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Pulsar PG6000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a weight of 159 pounds, the Pulsar PG6000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v with only 107 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 72 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the PG6000 boasts with a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.49 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (159 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||302 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21.1 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.