Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000
In summary, the Pulsar PG6000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000 houses a 302 cc (10 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5000W along with a peak wattage of 6000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the PG6000 may run for around 13.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.49 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Pulsar generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27.5 x W21.1 x H21.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG6000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 159 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The PG6000's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG6000 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Pulsar PG6000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 159 lbs, the Pulsar PG6000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN6000 with only 119 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The PG6000 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 13.5 hours at 50% load. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.49 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (159 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||302 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21.1 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.