Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG6000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 302 cc (10 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5000W and also a peak wattage of 6000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PG6000 can operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.49 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
While this Pulsar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L27.5 x W21.1 x H21.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG6000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 159 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the PG6000 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG6000 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PG6000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PG6000 only weighs in at 159 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN6000, with a dry weight of just 119 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 72 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 13.5 hours at 50% load, the PG6000 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.49 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight for its kind (159 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||302 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21.1 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.