Zoom on the Pulsar PG6000
In summary, the Pulsar PG6000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG6000's engine, 302 cc (10 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5000W and reaches a peak wattage of 6000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the PG6000 can operate for around 13.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.49 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG6000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG6000, which are L27.5 x W21.1 x H21.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 159 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The PG6000's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Pulsar PG6000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Pulsar PG6000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG6000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG6000 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- With a dry weight of 159 pounds, the Pulsar PG6000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v with only 107 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 72 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The PG6000 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 13.5 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.49 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300v. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Pulsar PG6000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (159 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||302 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 21.1 x 21.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG6000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.