Zoom on the Pulsar PG5250B
In summary, the Pulsar PG5250B is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG5250B allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4250W and a starting wattage of 5250W. If propane-powered, it gives 3850 rated watts and 4750 starting watts.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG5250B can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), or for around 13 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.36 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the PG5250B bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG5250B, which are L23.2 x W17 x H17.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 110 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The PG5250B's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a propane hose in the PG5250B's packaging.
The Pulsar PG5250B is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG5250B versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG5250B compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the Pulsar PG5250B stands at only 110 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Energizer eZV4500, with a dry weight of just 78 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG5250B is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Pulsar PG5250B is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Lightweight for its kind (110 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG5250B?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4250 W||3850 W|
|Starting watts||5250 W||4750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps||32.1/16 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17 x 17.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG5250B is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.