Zoom on the Pulsar PG5250
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG5250 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG5250's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4250W and also a peak wattage of 5250W.
With a noise rating of 76 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG5250 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.5 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, because the PG5250 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Pulsar PG5250 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.3 x W17 x H17.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 99.5 lbs of the PG5250's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its wheel kit and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
The PG5250 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG5250 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG5250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG5250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG5250 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG5250 has only 99.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the PG5250, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.5 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Pulsar PG5250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (99.5 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4250 W|
|Starting watts||5250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 17 x 17.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG5250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3387 W||4862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||3380 W||3800 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2530 W||5230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.