Zoom on the Pulsar PG5250
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG5250 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG5250's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 4,250W and also a peak wattage of 5,250W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a shower).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG5250 may run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.5 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the PG5250 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG5250, which are L23.3 x W17 x H17.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 99.5 lbs of the PG5250's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the PG5250 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG5250 also comes with some accessories: funnel and tool kit are included.
The Pulsar PG5250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG5250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG5250 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PG5250 only weighs in at 99.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The PG5250's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.5 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Pulsar PG5250 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (99.5 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4,250 W|
|Starting watts||5,250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 17 x 17.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG5250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3387 W||4862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||3380 W||3800 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2530 W||5230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.